|The W. J. Beal Botanical Garden
is an outdoor laboratory for the study and appreciation
of plants. It is one of the principal centers of plant interest within
the arboretum-like campus of Michigan
State University. More than 2000 different taxa can
be found within W. J. Beal Botanical Garden.
|This garden, established in 1873 by Professor William
James Beal, is the oldest continuously operated university botanical garden
of its kind in the United States. With consideration for Professor Beal's
own words, "Students should themselves become discerning observers
and investigators rather than mere reservoirs of previously accumulated
knowledge" (Beal 1895, p.55). The Garden operates with the following
the philosophy of a land-grant institution, the W. J. Beal Botanical
Garden is an outdoor laboratory engaged in teaching, collection development,
research, conservation and public service. These activities focus
on a theme of natural plant diversity, economic botany, ecology and
plant conservation with emphasis on the Great Lakes region.
|Beal Botanical Garden is administered by Campus Planning and
Administration, which also administers the woody plant collections
planted throughout the arboretum-like campus. For more information about
the garden, please contact the Curator, email@example.com.